Wednesday, November 7, 2007

week #5



This week I have noticed that I have pretty grown up little puppies. When they were three and four weeks there were so many times that I would come and check on them and they would be sleeping. Now when I come into the garage I peek over the edge of the plywood and every puppy eye is on me and they are sitting perfectly still waiting to see what I am going to do. Will I let them out? Did I come out to say hi? am I going to play? or do they get to nurse from their mom? (I usually have to go tell Sage to jump in there and "feed your pups" ). I have got to get a picture of them first thing in the morning when I go out there. Every time I think "oh, I need my camera.." and then they all start moving around so fast- the perfect picture is gone. They all have really sharp little puppy teeth that they are using all over the place. They crowd around your feet and start goin' at your pants or your shoe laces. Elise is starting to get bugged every once in a while that the puppies want to play with her....but they want to bite and nip and tease her. They have been waiting for five weeks to finally be able to nip at her if they don't want to be picked up. They still are so sweet to her though. When she does pick one up they just go limp and let her carry them around. Kenton's little preschool friends came over after school on Thursday and had so much fun with the puppies. We have so much enjoyed the beautiful weather. The puppies have been lucky that it has not been too cold. The garage stays so nice and warm for them. I told my mom tonight that nine puppies aren't as hard to take care of as my two crazy kids. They sure eat more than my kids though. I am going through puppy food like crazy this week. I think I bought a $40 bag just last week and it is almost gone!! That means I will go through at least two more before these puppies start going to their homes. It will be interesting to add up all the money we have spent on this cute litter. There are lots of things to pay for: food, dew claws, shots, supplies to build a good little home for them, registration.... the time and effort it has taken to make sure they are happy and healthy and growing. The experience has been amazing though. I could sit out in the garage all night....if I didn't have to get up in the morning and take care of kids....and just snuggle with them and love them. They are all so cute. Five are spoken for- three girls and two boys. I am still looking for four more good homes. Spread the word and come and see them!!!

No comments: